Writing for Television Online
September 30, 2019 through June 5, 2020
CLASS SIZE & TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
Workshops are limited to 8 students each. In order to participate in the Professional Program in Writing for Television Online, you'll need the following items:
- A computer that is no more than four years old.
- Direct High-Speed Internet Access. Students may not use wi-fi.
- Internet browser (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari) to connect to Skype.
- A web cam.
Please note: This program may not be taken on an iPad or tablet computer
International Students: August 18, 2019
U.S. Students: August 18, 2019
It is possible that late applications may be considered after the posted deadline, but only if a spot is still available in the program. Please call the Professional Programs office at 310.825.6124 if you would like to submit an application after the posted deadline. Do not submit a late application without calling us first.
The Professional Program in Writing for Television features an admissions process based on supporting application materials. The prerequisite is that the applicant have an undergraduate Bachelor's degree, in any field. Once we have received a complete application, the applicant will be notified of admission status via email within 20 business days.
(It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide a working email address with the application. Please note that our replies to Hotmail and MSN email addresses tend to be sent to spam folders. Please create a Gmail address for your application.)
Please read the application instructions carefully. Consideration will be given as to whether or not the applicant follows these instructions.
Applicants to Professional Program in Writing for Television must submit a completed application form via online. Applications will not be accepted via email.
Before clicking the Start Application button, please have the following ready to upload:
1. Five-Page Writing Sample Teleplay format is highly preferred, however we will accept any sample that demonstrates your narrative storytelling abilities, as well as character interaction and conflict. If you do not have a teleplay, we will accept stage plays, screenplays or short stories as alternatives. If you submit five pages from a teleplay, those pages may come from any point in the script as long as they are consecutive. Examples of writing samples that we are not looking for are outlines, treatments, poems, articles or journal/blog entries.
2. One-Page Statement of Purpose
Your Statement of Purpose is simply a short essay in which we'd like you to tell us a little about yourself, your writing experience and goals. Your Statement of Purpose should be one full page in length, single or double spaced. Once written, copy and paste the text into the correct field on the application page.
3. Undergraduate Bachelor's Transcript or Copy of Degree Certificate or DegreeVerify Certificate from National Student Clearinghouse
Although we do not take college grades into consideration, we require proof that an undergraduate Bachelor's degree, in any field, has been conferred. Please provide a copy of your transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable), or a copy of your degree certificate, or a DegreeVerify Certificate from National Student Clearinghouse. Alternatively, if you have an advanced degree such as an MFA, we will accept that transcript or certificate.
4. Be prepared to choose either the Comedy or Drama track. (Comedy Track - Students write half-hour comedies or dramedies. Single-cam or multi-cam. Drama Track - Students write one-hour dramas or dramedies. You can only choose one track.)
Be sure to sign the Professional Programs Policies on the application page, or your application cannot be considered.
TUITION COST AND PAYMENT PROCESS
Tuition for the Professional Program in Writing for Television is $5,750. Payments are collected in two installments: $2,000 is charged upon admission to the program, with the balance of $3,750 normally due a few weeks prior to the start of the program.
If you are accepted into the program, you will be contacted with instructions on how to pay your deposit. A deposit must be paid to hold your spot in the program.
For the initial deposit of $2,000, we will only accept credit cards. For the balance of $3,750, students may pay with either a credit card or with a cashier's check or money orders. We do not accept personal checks.
IMPORTANT: There is no application fee for our programs. If an applicant is not admitted, the applicant will not be charged.
At this time, financial aid is not available for any of our courses. However, some banks offer private loans specifically for non-degree programs and will send the money to you upon verification of enrollment. Applicants interested in a private loan must first be enrolled in one of our programs and make their tuition payments directly to the Professional Programs office as described above. Do not apply for a loan that requires the lender to send the money to the university. Once you make your payments to the Professional Programs office, the lending bank will request proof of enrollment and/or a receipt. We can provide those items for you.
Please be advised that because this program is not for academic credit Sallie Mae loans are not available. If you have questions about this, please call (310) 825-6124.
Please be advised that because this program is not for academic credit GI Bill funds are not available for this program. If you have questions about this, please call (310) 825-6124.
REFUND POLICY AND SCHEDULE
Applicants who would like to withdraw from any of our courses must do so in writing. Students may simply email us at email@example.com.
The refund schedule for the 2019-2020 Professional Program in Writing for Television is:
• 100% refund if student withdraws by September 15, 2019
• 80% refund after September 15, 2019, and up to and including first day of second week of classes (October 7, 2019)
• 50% refund after October 7, 2019, and up to and including first day of third week of classes (October 14, 2019)
• 0% refund after October 14, 2019
If you have questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.